top of page

Restoring Gun Rights

Our attorneys will assist with preparing your Petition that is filed in the County you live in.  We will put the most pertinent information forward to the Court to emphasize how much life has changed for you.  We will assist you in obtaining letters of support from friends, family, co-workers, or loved ones.  All of the people that know you best will be the best suited for informing the Court why you should have your rights restored.  We will prepare you and all your witnesses to testify before the Court in a clear and convincing manner.  Because we have done this so many times, we know what works.   

If you want some pointers on how to draft letters of support for one of our clients please; Click Here

The process for the civil Oregon Gun Restoration is vested in ORS 166.274.  Oregon law has a few necessary prongs, and then a burden.  Folks are eligible for Restoration if they have:

  • Not been on supervision, or served a felony sentence in the last year

  • Not been convicted of a person felony if that crime involved the use of a firearm or deadly weapon

  • Not been convicted of a Crime enumerated under Measure 11 (ORS 137.700)

Everyone else is eligible to have the Court review their legal status in firearm ownership.  

Generally speaking the State of Conviction is the state that determines restoration.  This means if your conviction is from Oregon, only an Oregon court can restore your state and federal rights.  Any petition or restoration that was completed by another state has no effect in Oregon.  This is because Oregon does not a reciprocity clause in our gun restoration statute.  If you are a resident of Oregon and have a prohibitive condition from Oregon or another state, you have to be restored here.  


Sorry, but you have to actively do something to remove the felony from your record.  Many people read Oregon Law to incorrectly believing that after fifteen years they obtain their rights back.  This is unfortunately, incorrect.  When reading ORS 166.270 the law states; 
"This Section does not apply to any person who has been...  Convicted of only one felony under the law of this state or any other state, or who has been convicted of only one felony under the laws of the United States, which felony did not involve criminal homicide, as defined in ORS 163.005, or the possession or use of a firearm or a weapon having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, and who has been discharged from imprisonment, parole or probation for said offense for a period of 15 years prior to the date of alleged violation..."

ORS 166.250, however does not have a time prohibition on the crime.  This put plainly means you cannot be charged 'felon in possession of a firearm' after that fifteen year window but can still be charged with 'unlawful possession of a firearm' a misdemeanor crime. 

There are many reasons to ask the Court to restore your rights to purchase and possess a firearm.  Talk with the best attorneys in Oregon about restoring your rights to purchase and possess firearms.  

As the foremost Second Amendment attorney in Oregon my office has years of experience representing individuals in restoring their rights to hunt, target shoot, purchase, and possess firearms.  If lawfully owning a firearm is your goal, you have come to the right place.


If you or a loved one have been convicted of a felony, domestic violence charge, drug crime, the subject of a restraining order, or civil commitment, you have lost your Second Amendment Rights.  We can get your rights restored. 

These requests are granted when your lawyer assists in explaining to the Court that you are not a danger to society or yourself.  The burden is on the Petitioner to prove by Clear and Convincing Evidence.  It is very helpful to have things like letters of support, friends, co-workers or family testify on your behalf.  By hiring the lawyers at Oregon Gun Law to restore your rights you receive the  assistance of the most experienced Second Amendment attorney in Oregon.  We have assisted countless clients in regaining their rights.  

bottom of page